As I was cleaning up my files, I found this recipe for Potato Soup. I could have deleted it but since it’s getting colder here in Amsterdam, I just wanted to share.
Makes 4 servings
See the notes for a vegetarian version.
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
- 225 gr or ½ pound bacon, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1½ cloves garlic, minced
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 475 ml or 2 cups chicken stock, or enough to cover potatoes
- 20 gr or 1½ tablespoon butter
- 15 gr or 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 120 ml or ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 gr or ½ teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 gr or 1½ teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until done.
- Remove bacon from pan, and set aside.
- Drain off all but 1/4 cup of the bacon grease.
- Cook celery and onion in reserved bacon drippings until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add cubed potatoes, and toss to coat.
- Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Return bacon to the pan, and add enough chicken stock to just cover the potatoes.
- Cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- In a separate pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the heavy cream, tarragon, and cilantro.
- Bring the cream mixture to a boil, and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Stir the cream mixture into the potato mixture.
- Puree about ½ the soup, and return to the pan.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
Cooks Note: Prepare well in advance, this is not a last minute recipe. Take care of peeling, chopping, dicing, mincing or cubing before you start cooking.
Note 1: Try adding some shredded cheese in the last step or stir some into a hot bowl of soup for an added kick.
Note 2: For those who do not wish to use bacon, substitute ¼ cup melted butter for the bacon grease and use vegetable stock instead of chicken.
Amount Per Serving Main recipe.
Total Fat: 41.5
Total Carbohydrates: 44
Dietary Fiber: 5.2
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat only half a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20160112-Potato-Soup