Makes 4 servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 60 minutes
- 4 Cornish game hens
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 45 ml or 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 24 cloves garlic
- 85 ml or ⅓ cup white wine
- 85 ml or ⅓ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary, for garnish
- cornstarch (optional)
- Preheat oven to 230° C or 450 degrees F.
- Rub hens with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Lightly season hens with salt and pepper.
- Place 1 lemon wedge and 1 sprig rosemary in cavity of each hen.
- Arrange in a large, heavy roasting pan, and arrange garlic cloves around hens.
- Roast in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 175° C or 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together wine, chicken broth, and remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Pour over hens.
- Continue roasting about 25 minutes longer, or until hens are golden brown and juices run clear.
- Baste with pan juices every 10 minutes.
- Transfer hens to a platter, pouring any cavity juices into the roasting pan.
- Add a little cornstarch (optional) to thicken it up.
- Tent hens with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Transfer pan juices and garlic cloves to a medium saucepan and boil until liquids reduce to a sauce consistency, about 6 minutes.
- Cut hens in half lengthwise and arrange on plates.
- Spoon sauce and garlic around hens.
- Garnish with rosemary sprigs, and serve.
Note 1: Serve with sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, green beans, mushrooms and cranberries.
Note 2: Instead of game hens use roaster chicken.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 57.5g
Total Carbohydrates: 9.7g
Dietary Fiber: 1.8g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat only half a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20151112-AC-17-Cornish-Game-Hens-Garlic-Rosemary