Makes 8 servings
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 90 minutes
- 900 gr or 1 (2 pound) butternut squash
- 45 gr or 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 gr or 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
- 6 gr or 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 6 gr or 1 teaspoon salt
- 950 ml or 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 firm ripe Bartlett or Anjou pears, peeled, cored, and cut into 2½ cm or 1 inch dice
- 120 ml or ½ cup half and half (optional)
- Preheat an oven to 190° C or 375 degrees F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise, discard seeds and membrane.
- Place squash halves, cut sides down, on the prepared baking sheet.
- Roast in preheated oven until very soft, about 45 minutes.
- Scoop the pulp from the peel, and reserve.
- Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Stir in the onion, garlic, ginger, curry powder, and salt.
- Cook and stir until the onion is soft, about 10 minutes.
- Pour the chicken broth into the pot, and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the pears and the reserved squash, and simmer until the pears are very soft, about 30 minutes.
- Pour the soup into a blender, filling the pitcher no more than halfway full.
- Hold down the lid of the blender with a folded kitchen towel, and carefully start the blender.
- Puree in batches until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot, stir in the (optional) half and half, and reheat.
Note: Substitute the pears for a can of coconut milk, and/or two parsnips.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 6.6g
Total Carbohydrates: 27.5g
Dietary Fiber: 6.6g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20151105-AC-16-Curried-Butternut-Squash-Pear-Soup