Makes 4 servings
This is not Mexican food. It’s a 100% American invention. They are not deep fried, they are pan-fried in a little oil. Serve with dollops of guacamole, sour cream, and salsa. Moist chicken and earthy mushrooms combine with fresh green chiles and pepperjack cheese encased in a crispy tortilla.
Prep: 25 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
- 15 ml or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 85 gr or ½ cup diced onion
- 60 gr or ½ cup diced Poblano peppers
- 35 gr or ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 340 gr or 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1¼ cm or ½-inch cubes
- ½ gr or ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ gr or ¼ teaspoon ground chipotle
- 1 pinch dried Mexican oregano
- 15 ml or 1 tablespoon water, or as needed
- 115 gr or 4 ounces shredded pepperjack cheese
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 30 ml or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 60 gr or ¼ cup guacamole (optional)
- 60 gr or ¼ cup sour cream (optional)
- 60 ml or ¼ cup salsa (optional)
- 10 gr or ¼ cup cilantro leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200° C or 400 degrees F.
- Line a heavy baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Heat 1½ teaspoons vegetable oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sautee onion, Poblano peppers, and mushrooms in the hot oil, sprinkling with salt, until they soften and release their juices, about 5 minutes.
- Continue to cook until vegetables begin to brown, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Move vegetables to the edges of the skillet, leaving a space in the center.
- Drizzle 1½ teaspoons vegetable oil into the center.
- Add chicken breast pieces to the center of the skillet and sprinkle with salt, cumin, ground chipotle, and dried Mexican oregano.
- Cook and stir until chicken pieces are browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir chicken and vegetable mixture together in skillet; remove from heat.
- Drizzle water over chicken mixture and scrape the browned bits of food off of the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and set aside to cool to a warm temperature.
- Mix pepperjack cheese into chicken mixture, stir until thoroughly combined.
- Season with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Place a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- When pan is hot, heat a tortilla in the skillet until warmed and flexible, about 30 seconds per side.
- Place tortilla onto a work surface and spoon ¼ the filling into the center of the tortilla.
- Fold bottom of tortilla just over filling.
- Brush top and the exposed parts of the inside of the tortilla with egg white.
- Fold right and left sides towards the center like an envelope, enclosing the filling.
- Roll tortilla over to fully enclose filling in a rectangular packet.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Brown chimichangas on both sides in the hot oil until golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until puffed up, golden brown, and the outside is crisp, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon guacamole, 1 tablespoon sour cream, 1 tablespoon salsa, and 1 tablespoon cilantro onto each chimichanga.
Note: Recipe by Chef John
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 32.3g
Total Carbohydrates: 48.2g
Dietary Fiber: 4.4g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat only half a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20151022-AC-14-Chicken-Mushroom-Chimichangas