Makes 6 servings
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 120 minutes
- 250 gr or 1½ cups dry black-eyed peas
- 455 gror 1 pound ham hocks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 gr or ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 950 ml or 4 cups water
- 280 gr or 1½ cups long-grain white rice
- 115 gr or 1 cup shredded smoked Cheddar cheese
- In a large pan place the peas, ham hock, onion, red pepper, salt and pepper.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 1½ hours.
- Remove ham hock and cut meat into pieces.
- Return meat to pot.
- Stir in the rice, cover and cook until rice is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over top, if desired.
Note 1: You can also use precooked diced ham.
Note 2: Can’t find any smoked cheddar cheese, use regular sharp cheddar which works just fine.
Note 3: Serve it with cornbread so it becomes a whole meal.
Amount Per Serving Main recipe.
Total Fat: 9.3g
Total Carbohydrates: 64.1g
Dietary Fiber: 5.4g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat only half a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20151015-AC-13-Hoppin-John