Makes a 23 cm or 9-inch pie, about 8 servings
Prep: 30 minutes
Cool: 30 minutes
Cook: 45 minutes
- 135 gr or ⅔ cup shortening, chilled
- 250 gr or 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 gr or 1 teaspoon salt
- 75 ml or 5 tablespoons cold water
- 150 gr or ¾ cup white sugar
- 40 gr or ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 gr or ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 580 gr or 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 215 gr or 1½ cups fresh blackberries
- 15 ml or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 30 gr or 2 tablespoons butter
- Cut shortening into 250 gr or 2 cups flour and salt until the shortening is the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle in water 1 tablespoon at a time until flour is moistened.
- Gather into a ball, wrap with plastic, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half and roll out half on a lightly floured board.
- Line a 23 cm or 9-inch pie dish with the pastry.
- Roll out the top crust and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 220° C or 425 degrees F.
- Mix sugar, ⅓ cup flour, and cinnamon.
- Stir in berries to coat.
- Pour the filling into the pastry-lined pan.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and dot with butter.
- Cover with top crust; cut slits in the top to vent the steam.
- Seal the crust and flute the edges.
- Cover the edges of the crust with foil to prevent over-browning.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the crust is golden brown and the juices are bubbling, about 45 minutes.
- Remove foil during the last 12 minutes of baking.
Note 1: If you use frozen berries, you’ll need to increase the baking time. Bake as directed, and then reduce the heat to 175° C or 350 degrees F. Bake until the juices are bubbling, about 30 minutes more.
Note 2: Or thaw the berries first and drain them before using. For the rest follow the recipe.
Note 3: Serve each slice warmed with a big scoop of (homemade) vanilla ice cream
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 20.7g
Total Carbohydrates: 59.9g
Dietary Fiber: 4.2g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20151008-AC-12-Blackberry-Blueberry-Pie