Makes 10 servings
Prep: 45 minutes
Cook: 60 minutes
- 11 gr or 1½ (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 100 gr or ½ cup white sugar
- 475 ml or 2 cups warm water
- 500 gr or 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 65 gr or ½ cup powdered milk
- 5 gr or 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 100 gr or ½ cup shortening
- 455 gr or 1 pound lean ground beef
- 455 gr or 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 160 gr or 1 cup chopped onion
- 210 gr or 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 45 ml or 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 10 gr or 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 gr or 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 55 gr or ½ cup shredded, processed American cheese
- 55 gr or ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- In a medium bowl combine the yeast, sugar and water and mix together.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Stir in flour, dry milk, baking powder and shortening, then knead mixture for 10 minutes, adding as little flour as necessary.
- Cover bowl with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes, then knead again.
To Make Filling:
- Meanwhile, brown beef, sausage and onion in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Drain extra fat from skillet, then stir in cabbage, mustard, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cheese and cook, stirring, until cheese is melted.
- Preheat oven to 175° C or 350 degrees F.
- Flatten a piece of dough.
- Place large spoonful of meat filling onto dough and fold over to form a round bun.
- Lay folded-side-down in a lightly greased 23 x 33 cm or 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Note: These meat-and-cabbage-mixture filled sweet rolls make a great main dish, and are also great as a snack. They reheat well, so leftovers are also great! Sauerkraut can be used in place of the cabbage for more of a ‘kraut flavor’.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 34.3g
Total Carbohydrates: 55g
Dietary Fiber: 2.2g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat only half a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20150917-AC-09-Kraut-Bierocks