You can imagine my surprise when I read about Bacon Jam, so here’s the recipe and an instruction video (bottom page).
Makes 32 servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 60 minutes
- 910 gr or 2 pounds bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 120 gr or ½ cup bacon drippings
- 2 large yellow onions, cut into very thin slivers
- 110 gr or ½ cup brown sugar
- 35 gr or ¼ cup garlic, minced
- 2 gr or 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 gr or ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 gr or ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 235 ml or 1 cup bourbon whiskey
- 235 ml or 1 cup brewed coffee
- 120 ml or ½ cup sherry vinegar
- 120 ml or ½ cup maple syrup
- 180 ml or ¾ cup ketchup
- Cook and stir bacon in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until bacon starts to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Drain grease, retaining 120 gr or ¼ of the drippings (½ cup).
- Stir onions into bacon and drippings, cook and stir until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in brown sugar.
- Cook until onions are sticky and browned, about 5 more minutes.
- Mix in garlic, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Cook and stir until garlic is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in bourbon whiskey, coffee, sherry vinegar, and maple syrup.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low.
- Cook until the bacon jam is thickened but not completely dry, stirring occasionally to prevent burning, about 35 minutes.
- Mix in ketchup and cook 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Let the bacon jam cool.
- Pulse in a food processor to a slightly chunky, spreadable consistency.
- Bacon jam will store in the refrigerator, covered, up to 2 weeks.
Note: Watch the video, opens on a new page.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 7.7
Total Carbohydrates: 9.6
Dietary Fiber: 0.2
PDF of this recipe: 20150911-Bacon-Jam