Making this lasagna a day ahead and refrigerating overnight allows the spices to meld, and gives it exceptional flavor.
Makes 8 servings
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 90 minutes
- 680 gr or 1½ pounds lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 gr or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 gr or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 25 gr or 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 9 gr or 1½ teaspoons salt
- 850 ml or 1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 340 gr or 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 12 dry lasagna noodles
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 570 gr or 1 pint part-skim ricotta cheese
- 40 gror ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 gr or 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 6 gr or 1 teaspoon salt
- 455 gr or 1 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 10 gr or 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef, onion and garlic, drain the fat.
- Mix in basil, oregano, brown sugar, 1½ teaspoons salt, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375° F or 190° C.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add lasagna noodles, and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, or until al dente, then drain.
- Lay noodles flat on towels, and blot dry.
- In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, ricotta, Parmesan cheese, parsley and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Layer one third of the lasagna noodles in the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch or 23 x 33 cm baking dish.
- Cover noodles with half of the ricotta mixture, half of the mozzarella cheese and one third of the sauce.
- Top with remaining noodles and sauce.
- Sprinkle additional Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Note 1: Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Note 2: Use Italian sausage instead of ground beef, or ground turkey.
Note 3: Serve it with cheesy garlic bread, and a Caesar salad to go along with it.
Suggestion: A disposable pan will be your best friend in this recipe.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 29.5g
Total Carbohydrates: 48.3g
Dietary Fiber: 4.2g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat only half a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20150903-AC-07-American-Lasagna