Makes 4 servings
For those on a low-carb kick that love Mexican but dread all the beans and bread, try this alternative for taco night. It uses lettuce leaves instead of taco shells to make a dish that’s halfway between a lettuce wrap and a taco. Low on carbs and still delicious!
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 30 ml or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 30 ml or 2 tablespoons chicken stock (optional)
- 455 gr or 1 pound ground beef
- 25 gr or 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 large Roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
- 3 gr or ½ teaspoon salt
- 225 gr or 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese
- 12 large romaine lettuce leaves
- Cook and stir green bell pepper and yellow onion in a skillet over medium heat with olive oil and chicken broth until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Cut up ground beef into small pieces.
- Place into a separate skillet over medium heat.
- Cook and stir ground beef with taco seasoning until beef is browned and crumbly, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Drain excess grease.
- Sprinkle Roma tomatoes with salt in a bowl.
- Place Cheddar cheese into a separate bowl.
- Fill each lettuce leaf with about 2 tablespoons beef filling.
- Top with 1 to 2 teaspoons green pepper mixture, Roma tomato, about 1½ tablespoons of Cheddar cheese.
Note 1: Use ground chicken or turkey instead of ground beef. This could also work especially well with iceberg lettuce.
Note 2: Measurements are approximate and can be adjusted to your tastes. All ingredients can be customized to your preferred taco toppings.
Note 3: Any leftovers… cut the lettuce up and make it into a taco salad.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 38.9g
Total Carbohydrates: 14.4g
Dietary Fiber: 2.5g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat only half a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20150820-ST17-Lettuce-Leaf-Tacos