Makes 6 servings
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 45 minutes
- 2x 200 gr or 2 (7 ounce) cans whole green chili (Anaheim) peppers, drained
- 225 gr or 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 225 gr or 8 ounces Longhorn or Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 150 ml or 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 15 gr or 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 120 ml or ½ cup milk
- 235 gr or 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 175° C or 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 23 x 23 x 5 cm or 9 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Lay half of the chilies evenly in bottom of baking dish.
- Sprinkle with half of the Jack and Cheddar cheeses, and cover with remaining chilies.
- In a bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, and flour, and pour over the top of the chilies.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, pour tomato sauce evenly over the top, and continue baking another 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining Jack and Cheddar cheeses, and serve.
Note 1: For the egg mixture: Separate the eggs and whip the whites until slightly stiff. Blend together the egg yolks, flour and milk and fold into the beaten egg whites. This creates a much fluffier casserole.
Note 2: What you’ll really love about this casserole is just how much better it is when you reheat it the next day.
Note 3: American cheeses can be bought bij L’amuse in Amsterdam and IJmuiden.
Amount Per Serving Main recipe
Total Fat: 27.6g
Total Carbohydrates: 12g
Dietary Fiber: 1.4g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20150730-ST14-Chili-Rellenos-Casserole-