Makes 6 servings
Smoky tender grilled vegetables are just bursting with flavor, made pretty with the addition of creamy white goat cheese and luscious avocado! Add any other veggies you like. Asparagus and zucchini are good additions.
Prep: 25 minutes
Marinate: 30 minutes
Cook: 5 minutes
- 6 Portobello mushroom caps
- 4 red bell peppers, cored and quartered
- 1 red onion, thickly sliced
- 120 ml or ½ cup olive oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- 20 gr or 2 tablespoons grill seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 30 ml or 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 avocado – peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 70 gr or ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 5 gr or 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- Place mushrooms, red bell peppers, and red onion in a 23 x 33 cm or 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Whisk olive oil, lime juice, grill seasoning, garlic, 15 ml or 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and the cayenne pepper in a small bowl, then pour over vegetables.
- Toss to coat and allow vegetables to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill for medium heat and lightly oil the grate.
- Remove vegetables from the marinade, and shake off excess.
- Reserve remaining marinade.
- Grill vegetables on preheated grill until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer grilled vegetables to a large platter.
- Whisk remaining marinade with balsamic vinegar and pour over vegetables.
- Top with avocado and goat cheese, then season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with basil to serve.
Note 1: Makes a great side dish or just add some grilled chicken and you have a main.
Note 2: Very easy to substitute depending on what veggies you have on hand.
Note 3: The avocado is optional but the goat cheese and FRESH basil are a must!
Additional suggestion: On the chance that you have leftover vegetables, cut them up and add to sautéed onion and garlic, throw in a can of diced tomatoes and some grilled, sliced chicken sausage. Simmer to desired consistency and serve over pasta with additional cheese.
Amount Per Serving
The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the marinade ingredients. The actual amount of the marinade consumed will vary.
Total Fat: 27g
Total Carbohydrates: 18.7g
Dietary Fiber: 6.4g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20150716-ST12-Grilled-Smoky-Vegetables-