Makes 10 servings
Prep: 5 minutes
Cool: 6 hours
- 710 ml or 3 cups fresh pink grapefruit juice (5 grapefruits)
- 435 gr or 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 300 gr or 1½ cups white sugar, or to taste
- 120 ml or ½ cup vodka (optional)
- Pour the grapefruit juice, blueberries, sugar, and (optional) vodka into a blender.
- Blend until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is smooth, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a container, and freeze until solid, 3 to 4 hours.
- Thoroughly stir the sorbet to break up the ice crystals to a slushy consistency, and return to freezer until firm, about 3 hours.
- Store in the freezer in a covered container.
Note 1: Use a 700 ml or 24 ounce jar of grapefruit segments and juice instead of the fresh juice.
Note 2: Substitute the blueberries for a mix of raspberries, marionberries, and blueberries.
Note 3: Blend everything and put it into an icecream maker for 20 minutes. Fast results.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 0.2g
Total Carbohydrates: 43.1g
Dietary Fiber: 1.1g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat only half a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20150618-GMF-Pink-Grapefruit-Blueberry-Sorbet
Number 17 of the 20 Healthiest Foods on Earth
Grapefruit came into true prominence as a health food when it was included in the diet for recovering heart surgery patients. But it really does have a lot going for it, nutritionally speaking, and is worth a place in your kitchen, either as a breakfast item, or a between meals snack. The nice thing about buying them is they’re usually readily available in the produce section along with the other citrus fruits. You can also pick up some oranges, for while they didn’t make this list, they’re still a bonafide superfood.
The high levels of Vitamin C and carotenoids are what gives grapefruit its bang for the buck. The reason it’s can be such a healthy start to your day is because it’s giving your body a one up on all the free radicals that might be present, or that might be introduced as you go about your day. If you make this part of your daily routine, you can work to prevent things like cancer and other degenerative diseases because you helped your body stay fighting strong day by day. /em>
Vitamin Breakdown per 100g
Vitamin A – 23% – While Vitamin C gets a lot of attention, A is also important.
Vitamin C – 52% – Not bad, getting half your needs met with one serving.
Fiber – 1.6g – Considered a good source of fiber as well.
PDF of these 20-Healthiest-Foods-on-Earth