Makes 6 servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Cool: 40 minutes
- 1 watermelon – peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and sliced
- ½ red onion, minced
- 1 bunch fresh mint, minced
- 170 gr or 6 ounce feta cheese, crumbled
- 50 gr or 2 ounce black olives, pitted and halved
- 80 ml or ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced, or to taste
- 10 gr or 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Make layers of watermelon, cucumbers, red onion, feta cheese, black olives and mint in a large bowl.
- Make a vinaigrette of olive oil, lemon juice, sugar, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Drizzle it over the salad and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 40 minutes.
Note: Just the mix of watermelon, cucumber and feta cheese (which is low in calories btw), makes it a refreshing summer salad.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 12.9g
Total Carbohydrates: 23.8g
Dietary Fiber: 2.3g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20150611-GMF-Watermelon-Cucumber-Salad
Number 16 of the 20 Healthiest Foods on Earth
Who would have thought that this summertime treat is also one of the healthier foods you can have? Just be sure not to overdo it here, because it still contains sugars, even though they are all-natural, they can still cause a spike in insulin levels if you consume too much at one time.
Although most people enjoy eating watermelon, and have a rough idea that it’s good for them since it’s a fruit, they aren’t sure exactly what it’s doing behind the scenes, or how great it is. First, it rivals tomatoes with its levels of lycopene, a very helpful in battling two big killers: heart disease and cancer. Aside from that it’s also a good source of other vitamins that are known to help cut down on free radical damage. It’s almost entirely fat free, so you can enjoy it without the guilt, as long as you consider the sugar as stated earlier.
Vitamin Breakdown per 100g
Vitamin A – 11% – Like any fruit worth its salt, it boosts your vitamin levels.
Vitamin C – 14% – Helping you to get to your daily intake of Vitamin C.
Fat – 0.1 – The most fat-free fruit we’ve seen.
PDF of these 20-Healthiest-Foods-on-Earth