Makes 4 servings
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
- 4 medium artichokes
- 115 gr or ½ cup butter, melted
- 45 gr or 3 tablespoons basil pesto
- 30 gr or ¼ cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- Trim the stems from the artichokes, and remove the small leaves from the bottoms.
- Slice 2½ cm or 1 inch or so off the top so that it is flat.
- Pour 2½ cm or 1 inch or 2 cups of water into a large pot, and insert a steamer basket.
- Place artichokes into the steamer, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Allow them to steam for about 15 minutes, or until a fork can easily pierce the stem.
- In a cup or small bowl, mix together the melted butter and pesto.
- Drizzle the mixture over upright artichokes, being sure to dribble into all of the crevices.
- Then sprinkle bread crumbs across the tops and serve.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 28.9g
Total Carbohydrates: 19.4g
Dietary Fiber: 7.6g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20150604-GMF-Delicious-Artichokes
Number 15 of the 20 Healthiest Foods on Earth
Artichokes don’t typically find their way onto many American plates, unless you count spinach artichoke dip as restaurant appetizer. But in order to keep it healthy you’ll have to eat them in their whole form. Try adding them to salads for some Mediterranean flair. They can typically be found in the deli section with things like potato salads and cole slaws. You can opt for canned or jarred varieties, but check the label to see if there is excessive sodium added to the marinade.
Not to put too fine a point on it, your insides simply love artichokes. It helps with all sorts of digestive issues, and the fiber it contains keep things moving for you. They also have a healthy dose of Vitamin C, not enough to get you through the day, been when added to an already health-conscious diet you’ll find that it’s easier to meet all of your needs.
Vitamin Breakdown per 100g
Vitamin C – 20% of what’s needed each day for most adults.
Protein – 3.3g – Another good source of plant-based protein.
Fiber – 5.4g – A fifth of the fiber needed each day. Be sure to mix it up!
PDF of these 20-Healthiest-Foods-on-Earth