Makes 12 servings
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 7 minutes
Ready: 35 minutes
- 6 Roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
- 55 gr or ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 60 ml or ¼ cup olive oil
- 30 ml or 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 10 gr or ¼ cup fresh basil, stems removed
- 2 gr or ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ gr or ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 French baguette
- 225 gr or 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven on broiler setting.
- In a large bowl, combine the Roma tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper.
- Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes.
- Cut the baguette into 1½ cm or ¾-inch slices.
- On a baking sheet, arrange the baguette slices in a single layer.
- Broil for 1 to 2 minutes, until slightly brown.
- Divide the tomato mixture evenly over the baguette slices.
- Top the slices with mozzarella cheese.
- Broil for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Note 2: If you have the opportunity to make this a day ahead, it gives the flavors a chance to marry and allows the garlic to mellow somewhat which is so much better!
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 8.9g
Total Carbohydrates: 24.8g
Dietary Fiber: 1.6g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat one serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20150430-GMF-Double-Tomato-Bruschetta
Number 10 of the 20 Healthiest Foods on Earth
It’s well known that tomatoes are good for the body, and the more research that is done on them the more they seem to rank high on the health-o-meter. There isn’t one specific reason to eat them, because they help with so many different things. They’re also a very versatile food, you can add them fresh to a salad, cook them up into a sauce, or drop them in the blender if you’re making a fruit or vegetable smoothie. Just be careful that you don’t consider eating ketchup or pizza a way to eat more tomatoes.
The reason tomatoes get so much attention is that they help with the baddest of the baddies when it comes to health. They can help prevent cancer, and they can fight off heart disease when eaten on a regular basis. The lycopene is believed to be what’s helping to avoid cancer, and an ensemble of vitamins and minerals is responsible for helping your cardiovascular system.
Vitamin Breakdown per 100g
Vitamin A – 17% of your daily requirement, an effective antioxidant
Vitamin C – 23% RDV – Helps to round out your daily intake of this essential vitamin.
Vitamin B6 – 5% of your daily needs, helps to metabolize your foods.
PDF of these 20-Healthiest-Foods-on-Earth