Makes 8 rolls
Prep: 45 minutes
Cook: 5 minutes
- 55 gr or 2 ounces rice vermicelli
- 8 rice wrappers (22 cm or 8.5 inch diameter)
- 8 large cooked shrimp – peeled, deveined and cut in half
- 4 gr or 1⅓ tablespoons chopped fresh Thai basil
- 5 gr or 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 9 gr or 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 leaves lettuce, chopped
- 20 ml or 4 teaspoons fish sauce
- 60 ml or ¼ cup water
- 30 ml or 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 25 gr or 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 ml or ½ teaspoon garlic chili sauce
- 45 ml or 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 gr or 1 teaspoon finely chopped peanuts
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to boil.
- Boil rice vermicelli 3 to 5 minutes, or until al dente, and drain.
- Fill a large bowl with warm water.
- Dip one wrapper into the hot water for 1 second to soften.
- Lay wrapper flat.
- In a row across the center, place 2 shrimp halves, a handful of vermicelli, basil, mint, cilantro and lettuce, leaving about 5 cm or 2 inches uncovered on each side.
- Fold uncovered sides inward, then tightly roll the wrapper, beginning at the end with the lettuce.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mix the fish sauce, water, lime juice, garlic, sugar and chili sauce.
- In another small bowl, mix the hoisin sauce and peanuts.
- Serve rolled spring rolls with the fish sauce and hoisin sauce mixtures.
Note 1: The fish sauce, rice vermicelli, chili garlic sauce, hoisin sauce, and rice wrappers can be found at Asian food markets or in larger supermarkets.
Note 2: For those of you who are willing to add a bit more effort to make the rolls even that much more “authentic Vietnamese” here are some suggestions: along with the shrimp, add some boiled pork that’s thinly sliced. As well as some sprouts, shredded carrot and a long thinly sliced piece of cucumber. And for an easy and excellent peanut dipping sauce, mix 1 part crunchy peanut butter to 2 parts hoisin sauce. Whisk over medium heat until blended, adding a few splashes of water to make the sauce less thick. This sauce truly makes the dish!
Amount Per Serving Main recipe
Total Fat: 0.7g
Saturated Fat: 0.1g
Total Carbohydrates: 15.8g
Dietary Fiber: 0.6g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band persons can eat only 2 rolls max !
PDF of this recipe: 20150321-EA-Spring-Rolls-Vietnamese-Style