Makes 4 servings
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 90 minutes
- 680 gr or 4 russet potatoes, sliced into ½ cm or ¼ inch slices
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- salt and freshly grounded pepper to taste
- 45 gr or 3 tablespoons butter
- 25 gr or 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 gr or ½ teaspoon salt
- 475 ml or 2 cups milk
- 170 gr or 1½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 200° C or 400° F.
- Butter a 1 liter or 1 quart casserole dish.
- Layer ½ of the potatoes into bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Top with the onion slices, and add the remaining potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Mix in the flour and salt, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute.
- Stir in milk.
- Cook until mixture has thickened.
- Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 30 to 60 seconds.
- Pour cheese over the potatoes, and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake 1½ hours in the preheated oven.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 25.4g
Total Carbohydrates: 49.3g
Dietary Fiber: 4.4g
PDF of this recipe: 20141222-FSD-Creamy-Au-Gratin-Potatoes