Makes 8 servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
- 540 gr or 3½ cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 40 gr or ⅓ cup diced celery
- 55 gr or ⅓ cup finely chopped onion
- 85 gr or ¾ cup diced cooked ham
- 770 ml or 3¼ cups water
- 1 gr or 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3 gr or ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 gr or 1 teaspoon freshly ground white or black pepper, or to taste
- 70 gr or 5 tablespoons butter
- 40 gr or 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 475 ml or 2 cups milk
- Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot.
- Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and freshly grounded pepper.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added.
- Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through.
- Serve immediately.
Note 1: When you don’t care for cooked celery use a little celery seed.
Note 2: Use this recipe as a base also, with many variations , such as… no meat at all, Italian sausage & extra onion, diced chicken breast & (pre-steamed) broccoli, just to name a few. Add some chopped carrots for color and flavor.
Note 3: Like your potato soup a little bit thicker than it turned out? Mash the veggies real lightly with a potato masher and add some instant mashed potato flakes to thicken it up a bit!
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 10.5g
Total Carbohydrates: 19.5g
Dietary Fiber: 1.9g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20141211-ComfortFood-Ham-Potato-Soup