Makes 6 servings
When you’re looking for something completely different to use up those turkey leftovers, this could be it! A tender, eggy pasta-like crepe enfolds the cheesy, amazing filling. You can make the crepes and filling ahead of time.
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 60 minutes
Ready: 2 hours 30 minutes
- 2 eggs
- 95 gr or ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 180 ml or ¾ cup water
- 3 gr or ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 ml or ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 140 gr or 1 cup diced cooked turkey
- 245 gr or 1 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 40 gr or ½ cup freshly shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 55 gr or ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ gr or ¼ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ½ gr or ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 15 gr or ¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
- salt to taste
- 5 ml or 1 teaspoon olive oil, or as needed
- 355 ml or 1½ cups marinara sauce
- 10 ml or 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 25 gr or ⅓ cup freshly shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 4 gr or 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- Preheat oven to 175° C or 350° F.
- Whisk 2 eggs, flour, salt, and ½ teaspoon olive oil together thoroughly in a bowl to make a very smooth batter.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate batter for 1 hour.
- Mix turkey, ricotta cheese, 1 egg, ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, mozzarella cheese, marjoram, red pepper flakes, and Italian parsley in a bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Place a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and brush generously with 1 teaspoon olive oil, or as needed.
- Swirl about ¼ cup batter into the bottom of the pan and tilt to form a thin pancake covering the bottom of the skillet.
- Cook until bottom of crepe is dry, 60 to 90 seconds.
- Flip crepe and cook until other side has small browned spots, 60 to 90 seconds more.
- Repeat with remaining batter to make 6 crepes.
- Transfer crepes to a plate as you make them.
- Spread about ½ cup marinara sauce into the bottom of a 9×12-inch baking dish.
- Use a brush to spread about ½ teaspoon of olive oil in a thin layer up the sides of the dish.
- Place a crepe, dimpled side down, onto a work surface; spread about ⅓ to ½ cup filling onto crepe in a line down the middle.
- Roll crepe over filling and tuck in ends if desired.
- Lay filled crepe into the baking dish.
- Repeat with remaining crepes and filling to make 6 manicotti.
- Spread remaining 1 cup marinara sauce onto the manicotti in a line down the middle of the crepes, covering middle ⅓ of manicotti.
- Sprinkle with ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese all over manicotti.
- Drizzle manicotti with remaining 1½ teaspoon olive oil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until manicotti are slightly browned and puffy, about 45 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes to cool.
- Garnish with ⅓ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and 1 tablespoon Italian parsley before serving.
Note: No turkey leftovers on hand? Use meat from (a store bought) rotisserie chicken.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 16.1g
Total Carbohydrates: 23.7g
Dietary Fiber: 2.2g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20141128-AC-Turkey-Manicotti