Makes one 23 cm or 9 inch pie, serves 8.
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 50 minutes
- 455 gr or 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cubed
- 120 gr or 1 cup sliced carrots
- 150 gr or 1 cup frozen green peas
- 60 gr or ½ cup sliced celery
- 75 gr or ⅓ cup butter
- 55 gr or ⅓ cup chopped onion
- 40 gr or ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 gr or ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ gr or ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ gr or ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- 415 ml or 1¾ cups chicken broth
- 160 ml or ⅔ cup milk
- 2 pieces of 23 cm or 9 inch unbaked pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 220° Cor 425° F
- In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery.
- Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
- In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed.
- Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk.
- Simmer over medium-low heat until thick.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust.
- Pour hot liquid mixture over.
- Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough.
- Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Note 1: If you like your meat with more flavor add more seasoning (garlic pepper, garlic powder, poultry seasoning) to the sauce and to the chicken mixture before cooking.
Note 2: Cook the chicken and vegetables in chicken stock instead of water, that adds flavor too.
Note 3: Pre-bake the bottom crust for 6 minutes, for a firmer base.
Amount Per Serving Main recipe.
Total Fat: 24g
Total Carbohydrates: 30.6g
Dietary Fiber: 3.3g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat only half a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20141113-ComfortFood-Chicken-Pot-Pie