Makes 6 servings
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 2 hours 30 minutes
- 450 gr or 1 pound cubed beef stew meat
- 15 ml or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 170 gr or 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 430 ml or 1 (14.5 ounce) can low fat, low sodium beef broth
- 130 gr or 1 cup chopped carrots
- 3 potatoes, cubed
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 gr or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ gr or ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 280 gr or 10 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
- 280 gr or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas, thawed
- Remove any bits of fat from the meat.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Sauté the meat in the oil for 10 minutes, or until browned on all sides.
- Remove meat and set aside.
- Add the onion and tomato paste to the pot and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until onion is tender, stirring often.
- Return the meat to the skillet along with the beef broth, combining with the onion and tomato paste mixture.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, rosemary, thyme, bay leaf and crushed red pepper flakes and simmer, covered, for another 45 minutes.
- (Note: It may be necessary to add some water if the stew seems too thick.)
- Finally, add the mushrooms and the peas and allow stew to heat through, about another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and rosemary sprig before serving.
Note 1: Add some potato flakes to thicken it up a little.
Note 2: Don’t use a too big sprig of rosemary as it can be overpowering.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 11.1g
Total Carbohydrates: 36.9g
Dietary Fiber: 7.5g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat half a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20141106-ComfortFood-Beef-and-Vegetable-Stew