Makes 6 servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 40 minutes
- 30 gr or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 825 ml or 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 235 ml or 1 cup milk
- 6 gr or 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 gr or ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ gr or ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 15 ml or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 4 gr or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter.
- Stir in onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes and carrots and cook 5 minutes more.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Stir in cauliflower, cover, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, 10 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Puree in batches in a blender or food processor, or in the pot using an immersion blender.
- Return to low heat and stir in milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg and sherry.
- Heat through.
- Serve garnished with parsley.
Note 1: You can cut back a bit on the cauliflower and add some broccoli.
Note 2: Also you don’t have to puree the entire soup, leave a couple of cups of the veggies whole.
Note 3: Add some grated Gouda cheese or other slightly spicy cheese when the soup is almost done and just let it melt in.
Amount Per Serving Main recipe.
Total Fat: 5.2g
Total Carbohydrates: 33g
Dietary Fiber: 4.8g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20141030-Dutch-Cauliflower-Soup