Makes 8 servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 60 minutes
- 110 gr or ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 120 ml or ½ cup ketchup
- 680 gr or 1½ pounds lean ground beef
- 180 ml or ¾ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 9 gr or 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ gr or ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ gr or ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 50 gr or ¾ cup finely crushed saltine cracker crumbs
- Preheat oven to 175° C or 350° F.
- Lightly grease a 13×23 cm or 5×9 inch loaf pan.
- Press the brown sugar in the bottom of the prepared loaf pan and spread the ketchup over the sugar.
- In a mixing bowl, mix thoroughly all remaining ingredients and shape into a loaf.
- Place on top of the ketchup.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until juices are clear.
Note 1: Add 2 cloves of garlic, chopped, to the meat mixture.
Note 2: Use 50 gr or a cup of seasoned bread crumbs instead of the crackers.
Note 3: Being impatient and hungry? Make mini-loves in your muffin pan! Put the ketchup/brown sugar sauce on the bottom, cook for 30 minutes at 175° C or 350° F, then spoon the rest of the sauce on top and cook another 15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 20.1g
Total Carbohydrates: 24.1g
Dietary Fiber: 0.4g
PDF of this recipe: 20141016-Dutch-Brown-Sugar-Meatloaf