Makes 6 servings
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 80 minutes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 60 ml or ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 gr or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 gr or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 410 gr or 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 385 gr or 2 cups dry lentils
- 1895 ml or 8 cups water
- 15 gr or ½ cup spinach, rinsed and thinly sliced
- 30 ml or 2 tablespoons vinegar
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender.
- Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and basil; cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in lentils, and add water and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to serve stir in spinach, and cook until it wilts.
- Stir in vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper, and more vinegar if desired.
- Serve with whole wheat bread
Note 1: You can replace the water with chickenbroth, in that case leave out the salt.
Note 2: Use balsamic vinegar instead of white vinegar, balsamic gives a ‘meatier’ taste.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 10g
Total Carbohydrates: 48.2g
Dietary Fiber: 22.2g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat only half a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20141009-Dutch-Lentil-Soup