Makes 6 servings
Prep: 25 minutes
Cook: 70 minutes
- 30 ml or 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 carrots, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 2 large tomatoes, quartered
- 1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
- ½ small butternut squash – peeled, seeded, and cut lengthwise into 1¼ cm or ½-inch thick wedges
- 1 Yukon Gold potatoes
- 6 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- salt and freshly ground ground black pepper to taste
- 450 gr or 4 (4 ounce) links sweet sausage, casings removed
- 225 gr or 2 (4 ounce) links hot sausage, casings removed
- 1480 ml or 6¼ cups vegetable broth, or more if needed
- 270 gr or 4 cups finely chopped kale leaves
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can of 425 gr or 15 ounce garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can of 425 gr or 15 ounce kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to 200° C or 400° F.
- Brush a jelly roll pan with a thin coat of olive oil.
- Arrange carrots, tomatoes, onion, squash, potatoes, and garlic on the prepared pan.
- Drizzle remaining olive oil over the vegetables; season with salt and pepper.
- Turn the vegetables with a spoon to help coat evenly with the oil.
- Roast in preheated oven until browned and tender, turning occasionally, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Set vegetables aside.
- While the vegetables roast, place a large skillet over medium heat.
- Crumble the sausage into the skillet.
- Pour ml or ¼ cup vegetable broth over the sausage.
- Cook, breaking the sausage apart with a spoon as it cooks, until the sausage is cooked through and no longer pink, 7 to 9 minutes.
- Transfer sausage to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Cut squash and carrots into 1¼ cm or ½-inch pieces; set aside.
- Peel garlic cloves; place in a blender with roasted tomatoes and onion and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a large pot.
- Pour ml or ½ cup broth onto the jelly roll pan.
- Scrape any browned bits from the surface of the pan with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Pour broth and browned bits into the pot with the blended tomato mixture.
- Pour remaining vegetable broth into the pot.
- Add kale, thyme, and bay leaf to the mixture; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the kale is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add sausage, carrots, potatoes, squash, garbanzo beans, and kidney beans to the soup.
- Continue cooking until hot, about 10 minutes.
- Thin the soup with more vegetable broth as desired.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaf to serve.
Note: You can also use (homemade) chicken broth instead of vegetable broth.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 27.3g
Total Carbohydrates: 56.2g
Dietary Fiber: 12.6g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20141002-Dutch-Roasted-Vegetable-and-Kale-Soup