Makes 4 servings
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 3 hours 20 minutes
- 900 gr or 2 pounds sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 225 gr or ½ pound bacon, cut into 2 cm or ¾-inch pieces
- 7 gr or 1 tablespoon caraway seeds (optional)
- 55 gr or ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 680 gr or 1½ pounds smoked sausage, cut into 2 cm or ¾-inch thick slices
- Place the sauerkraut, caraway seeds, brown sugar, and apple into a large saucepan over medium-low heat, and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low, and cook for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 165° C or 325° F.
- Grease a 23×33 cm or 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Place the bacon and onion into a skillet over medium heat, and cook until the bacon is almost crisp and the onion is beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Stir the bacon mixture into the sauerkraut.
- In the same skillet, brown the smoked sausage in the remaining bacon grease until the sausage begins to brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir into the sauerkraut mixture.
- Spoon the sauerkraut and sausage mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bubbling, about 1 hour.
Note 1: Serve with mashed potatoes.
Note 2: You don’t need extra salt, there’s enough of it in the kraut and bacon, but you can add some freshly grounded black pepper to taste.
Amount Per Serving Main recipe.
Total Fat: 62.3g
Total Carbohydrates: 28.6g
Dietary Fiber: 6.5g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat only half a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20140925-Dutch-Sauerkraut-and-Sausage