Makes 4 servings
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 45 to 60 minutes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stick of celery, thinly sliced
- 25 gr or 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons risotto or pudding rice
- 1 generous sprig of summer savory or thyme
- 350 gr or12½ ounce shelled broad beans
- 1 liter or 33 ounce chicken or vegetable stock, plus about 100ml or 3½ ounce more if needed
- 100 gr or shelled peas
- 7 tablespoons yogurt + extra for serving
- 7 tablespoons fresh chopped mint leaves
- Fry the onion and celery gently in the butter in a covered saucepan over a low heat for about 10 minutes until very tender.
- Add the rice, the savory or thyme and cook for another minute, uncovered.
- Now add the broad beans, pour in 1 liter or 33 ounce stock and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, simmer for about 5 minutes, then add the peas and cook for a further 5 minutes, by which time the rice will be tender.
- Remove the herb sprig and purée the soup in batches in a blender or food processor, then return to the rinsed-out pan. (If you’ve got a hand blender, use it in the pan.)
- Shortly before serving, reheat the soup thoroughly and add more stock if the consistency is too thick for your liking.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in 1 tablespoon of the yogurt and the chopped mint.
- Continue to stir in the yogurt, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it’s all incorporated.
- Taste for seasoning, then serve in warmed bowls with an extra spoonful of yogurt stirred into each and a grinding of black pepper on top.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 9.0g
Total Carbohydrates: 19.0g
Dietary Fiber: 7.0g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20140918-Dutch-Broad-bean-soup