Makes 4 servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 70 minutes
- 2 slices bacon
- 7 gr or 1½ teaspoons bacon drippings
- 15 gr or 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 gr or ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ gr or ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 450 gr or 1 pound skinless chicken thighs
- ½ red onion, sliced
- ½ large apple, cored and sliced
- ½ head red cabbage, cored and sliced
- 60 ml or ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 30 ml or 2 tablespoons dry red wine
- 30 gr or 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ gr or ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 175° C or 350° F.
- Place bacon in a large oven-safe or cast-iron skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the bacon slices on paper towels.
- When cool, crumble bacon; leave bacon drippings in the skillet.
- Whisk flour, salt, and smoked paprika together in a bowl.
- Coat chicken thighs in the seasoned flour and brown on both sides in the hot bacon fat over medium heat, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Drain bacon grease except for 1 tablespoon; cook and stir onion and apple until onion is translucent and apple is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir red cabbage and bacon into onion-apple mixture, sprinkle with a pinch of salt, and cook, stirring often, until cabbage is softened, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Pour red wine vinegar and red wine into skillet.
- Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon and bring cabbage mixture to a boil.
- Cook until sauce is reduced by half, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
- Arrange chicken thighs on top of cabbage in the skillet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cabbage is tender and chicken is cooked through, about 40 minutes.
- An instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh should read at least 70° C or 160° F.
Note 1: Use diced turkey breast (maybe you have a leftover), dredge it with the flour mixture and fry briefly till a crispy texture.
Note 2: If you use spiced wine leave out the cinnamon!
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 11g
Total Carbohydrates: 23.9g
Dietary Fiber: 3.3g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20140911-Dutch-Chicken-Red-Cabbage