Makes 8 servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 5 minutes
Cool: 2½ hours
- 450 gr or 1 pound fresh thick Chinese wheat noodles (Bahmi)
- 60 ml or ¼ cup ketchup
- 50 ml or 3½ tablespoons sesame oil
- 50 ml or 3½ tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 25 gr or 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 10 gr or 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 ml or 1½ teaspoons lime juice
- 25 gr or ¼ cup chopped green onion
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 small zucchini, cut into matchsticks
- ½ red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
- ½ yellow bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 9 gr or 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2 gr or 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
- Once the water is boiling, stir in the Chinese noodles, and return to a boil.
- Cook the noodles uncovered, stirring occasionally, until they have cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Drain well in a colander set in the sink.
- Rinse the noodles with cold water several times to chill, then drain again.
- In a large salad bowl, whisk together the ketchup, sesame oil, low sodium soy sauce, brown sugar, salt, and lime juice until the brown sugar has dissolved.
- Place the noodles, green onion, carrots, zucchini, red & yellow bell pepper, sesame seeds, and red pepper flakes into the bowl.
- Toss gently to thoroughly mix the salad and coat with dressing.
- Chill at least 2 hours before serving.
Note 1: Make extra sauce to use as a marinade for a chicken breast. Slice the chicken and sautee it in the marinade to top the noodles with for a main dish.
Note 2: If you don’t care for raw bell pepper or zucchini, just drop the matchstick veggies into the pasta water for about 30 seconds just to soften them slightly.
Note 3: Use linguine instead of thick Chinese wheat noodles (Bahmi).
Amount Per Serving Main recipe.
Total Fat: 7.4g
Total Carbohydrates: 41.9g
Dietary Fiber: 1.4g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat only half a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20140904-ST11-Shanghai-Noodle-Salad