Makes 4 servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
- 400 gr or 2 medium zucchini
- 1 slice white bread, torn into small pieces
- 30 gr or ¼ cup bacon bits
- 8 gr or 1 tablespoon minced black olives
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 25 gr or 3 tablespoons diced green chile peppers
- 40 gr or ¼ cup minced onion
- 45 gr or ¼ cup chopped tomato
- 50 gr or 6 tablespoons shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 gr or 1 pinch dried basil
- seasoned salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Prepare the grill for indirect heat.
- Place the zucchini in a pot with enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, and cook 5 minutes.
- Drain, cool, and cut in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the pulp to about ¼ inch from the skin.
- Chop pulp.
- In a bowl, mix the zucchini pulp, bread pieces, bacon bits, olives, jalapeno, green chile peppers, onion, tomato, and Cheddar cheese.
- Season with basil, seasoned salt, and freshly ground pepper.
- Stuff the zucchini halves with the pulp mixture
- Seal each stuffed half in aluminum foil.
- Place foil packets on the prepared grill over indirect heat.
- Cook 15 to 20 minutes, until tender.
Note 1: With their high water content, zucchini are more flavorful and less mushy if the boiling step is eliminated. Just start with raw zucchini then slice, scoop, chop, fill and grill.
Note 2: Make small foil boats and cook the zucchini with the top exposed. This will make them crunchy and tasty on the top.
Note 3: You can also use a leftover (cooked) burger patty instead of bacon.
Amount Per Serving Main recipe.
Total Fat: 6.3g
Total Carbohydrates: 9g
Dietary Fiber: 2g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat only a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20140828-ST10-Zucchini-Boats