An unplanned day is sometimes a good one. Yesterday was such a day. I promised my ‘boss’ I would visit the Kröller-Müller museum sculpture gardens to see one of the projects members of our Guild helped to make and construct. Officially I would go last Sunday, but due to the weather forecast I stayed home.
Yesterday, it was Sunny, a bit windy and some clouds, but great to travel. A bus from Valys picked me up at home and brought me and my electric scooter to the entrance of the Hoge Veluwe National Park. Some 62 miles / 100 km from Amsterdam. If you go there buy tickets in advance (e-ticket).
From the entrance to the museum is about 2 miles / 3 km, you can take a free white bike and cycle all the way, while you sniff the smell of pines, and for a change they don’t come out of an aerosol can. Or drive by car (beware you buy a parking ticket too when you buy your tickets online.)
I just went to see The Circle of Clothing, a project by Pet van de Luijtgaarden, he’s a collector of collections. 100 designers and tailors worked together on this project, a fifth of them members of the Guild.
Afterwards I drove further into the park on my way to Jachtslot St Hubertus, the summer residence of the former owners of the grounds. Next time I buy a ticket in advance just to see the interior of that building, a Gezamtkunstwerk by architect / designer Berlage.
BTW, the second largest collection of paintings by Van Gogh hangs in the Kröller-Müller Museum. So what you’ve missed at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam, can be seen there.
Marinated Chicken from the Grill
Makes 6 servings
Prep: 15 minutes
Marinate: 8 hours
Cook: 15 minutes
- 60 ml or ¼ cup distilled white vinegar
- 80 ml or ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 80 ml or ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 60 ml or ¼ cup sherry
- 20 gr or 2 tablespoons ground mustard
- 10 ml or 2 teaspoons honey
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 75 gr or ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 10 gr or 2 tablespoons lemon pepper
- 2 gr or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 gr or 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 6 gr or 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- In a large glass bowl, stir together the vinegar, oil, soy sauce, lime juice, lemon juice, sherry, mustard, and honey.
- Mix in the garlic, brown sugar, lemon pepper, oregano, rosemary, and salt.
- Place the chicken in the mixture.
- Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the grill for high heat.
- Lightly oil the grill grate.
- Discard marinade, and place chicken on the grill.
- Cook 6 to 8 minutes per side, until juices run clear.
Note 1: Don’t be freaked out by the long list of ingredients, most of them are in your pantry!
Note 2: Cube the breast before you add them to the marinade. Afterwards put them on skewers and grill them.
Note 3: Add about 1 tablespoon of corn starch to the marinade. The marinade thickens up a bit and helps to retain the extra moisture in the chicken. Helps both on the breast or the vcubed version.
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat only half a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20140731-ST06-Grilled-Chicken