Makes 10 servings
Prep: 40 minutes
Cook: 12 minutes
- 225 gr or 8 ounces country style white bread, cut into 2½ cm or 1 inch cubes
- 45 ml or 3 tablespoons garlic flavored olive oil
- 2 gr or ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- 425 gr or 1 (15 ounce can) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 300 gr or 2 cups red or yellow teardrop tomatoes, halved
- 50 gr or ⅓ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 50 gr or ⅓ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 small red onion, cut into 3/4 inch slices
- 10 Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 75 gr or ⅓ cup basil pesto
- 60 ml or ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 gr or 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- ½ gr or ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 115 gr or 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 1 head green or red leaf lettuce
- 35 gr or ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 175º C or 350º F.
- Toss the bread cubes with the olive oil to evenly coat.
- Sprinkle with salt, and toss again.
- Spread the cubed bread evenly over a baking sheet, and bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Toss together the garbanzo beans, tomatoes, peppers, onion, and Kalamata olives in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the pesto, balsamic vinegar, rosemary, and pepper.
- Toss the tomatoes with the pesto mixture, and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- To serve, toss the toasted bread cubes and goat cheese with the tomato mixture.
- Line a serving platter with a few lettuce leaves.
- Shred the remaining lettuce, and mound in the center of the platter.
- Spoon the bread mixture over the lettuce, and sprinkle with toasted pine nuts.
Note 1: Originally a bread salad comes from Tuscany, this one has a Sicilian twist.
Note 2: No goat cheese at hand? Use crumbled feta cheese instead.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 15g
Total Carbohydrates: 24.5g
Dietary Fiber: 3.1g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20140605-Italian-Panzanella-Bread-Salad