Makes 4-6 servings
Prep: 25 minutes
Cook: 0 minutes
- 80 ml or ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
- 120 ml or ½ cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 gr or 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ gr or ⅛ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 (425 gr) or 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 250 gr or 1½ cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 avocado – peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 25 gr or ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Place lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper in a small jar.
- Cover with lid, and shake until ingredients are well mixed.
- In a salad bowl, combine beans, corn, bell pepper, green onions, and cilantro.
- Shake lime dressing, and pour it over the salad.
- Stir salad to coat vegetables and beans with dressing.
- Add the tomato and avocado very last, after mixing the dressing in with the other ingredients, and serve.
Note 1: You MUST use fresh lime juice, not that icky stuff in a plastic lime, if you want great flavor.
Note 2: Make it with a little twist, add 225 gr or 8 oz. of bow tie pasta and double the dressing to compensate. It makes a great pasta salad!
Note 3: For a lower fat alternative to the oil based dressing – replace all the oil with ¾ cup tomato juice and add ¼ tsp. cumin, ½ tsp. oregano and half a seeded jalapeno, process until smooth.
Note 4: Add crushed baked tortilla chips.
Amount Per Serving Main recipe.
Total Fat: 24.5g
Saturated Fat: 3.3g
Total Carbohydrates: 35.1g
Dietary Fiber: 12.2g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat only half a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20140417-Black-Bean-Corn-Salad