Makes 4 servings
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 60 minutes
- 380 gr or 2 cups brown rice
- 950 ml or 4 cups water
- 15 gr or 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 8 gr or 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 90 ml or 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 60 ml or ¼ cup white wine
- 6 gr or 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 450 gr or 1 pound boneless beef round steak, cut into thin strips
- 15 ml or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 265 gr or 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 170 gr or 1 (6 ounce) package frozen pea pods, thawed
- 20 gr or 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 225 gr or 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, undrained
- 75 gr or 1 cup Chinese cabbage
- 2 large heads bok choy, chopped
- 30 ml or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Bring brown rice and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender, and liquid has been absorbed, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce, and wine in a small bowl until smooth.
- Stir in ginger; toss beef in sauce to coat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook and stir broccoli, carrots, pea pods, and onion for 1 minute.
- Stir in water chestnuts, Chinese cabbage, and bok choy; cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from skillet and keep warm.
- In same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook and stir beef until desired degree of doneness, about 2 minutes per side for medium.
- Return vegetables to skillet; cook and stir until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
Note: Try using apple juice instead of white wine.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 13.8g
Total Carbohydrates: 104.6g
Dietary Fiber: 11.7g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20140327-StirFried-Beef