Makes 4 servings
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 45 minutes
- 450 gr or 1 (16 ounce) package dry whole-wheat noodles
- 120 ml or ½ cup chicken stock
- 160 gr or ½ cup orange marmalade
- 80 ml or ⅓ cup tamari sauce
- 2½ cm or 1 (1 inch) piece ginger root, peeled
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 45 ml or 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 900 gr or 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into thin strips
- 450 gr or 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen stir-fry vegetables, thawed
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil.
- Stir in whole-wheat noodles and return to a boil.
- Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through but is firm to the bite, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Drain well and set aside.
- Combine chicken stock, orange marmalade, tamari sauce, whole ginger root piece, and ground black pepper in a pot over medium-high heat.
- Bring sauce to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Simmer until sauce reduces and thickens; about 20 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat. Stir in lemon juice and set aside.
- Heat peanut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook and stir chicken in hot oil until golden, no longer pink in the center, and the juices run clear, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside, leaving oil in the pan.
- Cook and stir the stir-fry vegetables in the same skillet used for the chicken until vegetables are almost tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove ginger root piece from sauce and discard.
- Stir chicken and sauce into vegetables and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve over whole-wheat noodles.
Note 1: If you don’t have tamari use soy sauce instead.
Note 2: Use fresh vegetables instead of frozen ones. Here in the Netherlands we have a wide choice of fresh ‘wok-vegs’ available.
Note 3: Add some pineapple chunks into the mix for that fruity flavor.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 17.5g
Total Carbohydrates: 112.5g
Dietary Fiber: 15.7g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat half a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20140313-StirFried-Chicken-Orange