Makes 6 servings
Prep: 25 minutes
Cook: 60 minutes
- 450 gr or 1 pound bulk mild Italian sausage
- 2 gr or 1¼ teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1,25 cm or ½ inch pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 8 gr or 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1,9 liter or 5 [13.75 ounce] cans low sodium chicken broth
- 6 potatoes, thinly sliced
- 235 ml or 1 cup heavy cream
- 60 gr or ¼ bunch fresh spinach, tough stems removed
- Cook the Italian sausage and red pepper flakes in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crumbly, browned, and no longer pink, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Cook the bacon in the same Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain, leaving a few tablespoons of drippings with the bacon in the bottom of the Dutch oven.
- Stir in the onions and garlic; cook until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the chicken broth into the Dutch oven with the bacon and onion mixture; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add the potatoes, and boil until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the heavy cream and the cooked sausage; heat through.
- Mix the spinach into the soup just before serving.
Note: To make it more a winter soup use kale instead of spinach.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 32.6g
Total Carbohydrates: 45.8g
Dietary Fiber: 5.6g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat only half a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20140220-Zuppa-Toscana