Makes 8 servings
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
- 450 gr or 1 pound bacon, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 950 ml or 4 cups chicken stock, or enough to cover potatoes
- 45 gr or 3 tablespoons butter
- 30 gr or ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 235 ml or 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 gr or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 3 gr or 3 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until done.
- Remove bacon from pan, and set aside.
- Drain off all but ¼ cup of the bacon grease.
- In the bacon grease remaining in the pan, saute the celery and onion until onion begins to turn clear.
- Add the garlic, and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the cubed potatoes, and toss to coat.
- Saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Return the bacon to the pan, and add enough chicken stock to just cover the potatoes.
- Cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- In a separate pan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour.
- Cook stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the heavy cream, tarragon and cilantro.
- Bring the cream mixture to a boil, and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Stir the cream mixture into the potato mixture.
- Puree about half the soup, and return to the pan.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
Note 1: For those who do not wish to use bacon, substitute ¼ cup melted butter for the bacon grease and continue with the recipe.
Note 2: Serve this soup as a special treat as it is not recommended for people counting calories.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 41.5g
Total Carbohydrates 44g
Dietary Fiber 5.2g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat only half a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20130926-AC-06-Ultimate-Potato-Soup