Makes 4 servings
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 90 minutes
- 4 russet potatoes, sliced into ½ cm or ¼ inch slices
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- salt and pepper to taste
- 45 gr or 3 tablespoons butter
- 25 gr or 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 gr or ½ teaspoon salt
- 475 ml or 2 cups milk
- 170 gr or 1½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 200° C or 400° F.
- Butter a 1 quart casserole dish.
- Layer half of the potatoes into bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Top with the onion slices, and add the remaining potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Mix in the flour and salt, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute.
- Stir in milk.
- Cook until mixture has thickened.
- Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 30 to 60 seconds.
- Pour cheese over the potatoes, and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake 90 minutes in the preheated oven.
Note: This is my favorite dish, and I considers it a special occasion every time I make it. The creamy cheese sauce and the tender potatoes in this classic dish combine to make a deliciously addictive experience. It’s a great side dish with a roast pork loin or beef tenderloin. Add a green salad and French bread, and you have found the magic path to your man’s heart. To avoid lumps in your sauce, add the milk just a little at a time as you stir the flour and butter. Experiment with different cheeses for variety.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 25.4g
Saturated Fat 16g
Total Carbohydrates 49.3g
Dietary Fiber 4.4g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat only half a serving max. I’m sorry!
PDF of this recipe: 20130919-AC-05-Creamy-Au-Gratin-Potatoes