Boilermaker Tailgate Chili
Makes 12 servings
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 120 minutes
- 900 gr or 2 pounds ground beef chuck
- 450 gr or 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1275 gr or 3 (15 ounce) cans chili beans, drained
- 425 or 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans in spicy sauce
- 1500 gr or 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 170 gr or 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 green chile peppers, seeded and chopped
- 15 gr or 2 tablespoon bacon bits
- 15 gr or 4 cubes beef bouillon
- 120 ml or ½ cup beer
- 30 gr or ¼ cup chili powder
- 15 ml or 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 gr or 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 5 gr or 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 gr or 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 10 ml or 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce [Tabasco™]
- 1 gr or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 gr or 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 gr or 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 gr or 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 gr or 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 300 gr or 1 (10.5 ounce) bag corn chips
- 225 gr or 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese
- Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat.
- Crumble the ground chuck and sausage into the hot pan, and cook until evenly browned.
- Drain off excess grease.
- Pour in the chili beans, spicy chili beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Add the onion, celery, green and red bell peppers, chile peppers, bacon bits, bouillon, and beer.
- Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, hot pepper sauce, basil, pepper, cayenne, paprika, and sugar.
- Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- After 2 hours, taste, and adjust pepper and chili powder if necessary.
- The longer the chili simmers, the better it will taste.
- Remove from heat and serve, or refrigerate, and serve the next day.
- To serve, ladle into bowls, and top with corn chips and shredded Cheddar cheese.
Note: I left out a spoon of salt, in the other ingredients like the beef stock cubes and bacon bits is already enough salt.
PDF of this recipe: 20130912-AC-04-Boilermakers-Tailgate-Chili