Makes 10 servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
- 520 gr or 4 cups sliced yellow squash
- 80 gr or ½ cup chopped onion
- 35 buttery round crackers, crushed
- 115 gr or 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 180 ml or ¾ cup milk
- 55 gr or ¼ cup butter, melted
- 3 gr or ½ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 30 gr or 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 200° C or 400° F.
- Place squash and onion in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Pour in a small amount of water.
- Cover, and cook until squash is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drain well, and place in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mix together cracker crumbs and cheese.
- Stir half of the cracker mixture into the cooked squash and onions.
- In a small bowl, mix together eggs and milk, then add to squash mixture.
- Stir in ¼ cup melted butter, and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread into a 25×30 cm or 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cracker mixture, and dot with 2 tablespoons butter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Note 1: Add bacon sauteed with the onion prior to cooking.
Note 2: No yellow squash? Use 2 zucchini instead.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 14.8g
Saturated Fat 7.7g
Total Carbohydrates 10.3g
Dietary Fiber 1.3g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat only half a serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20130829-Sun-on-a-Plate-Yellow-Squash-Casserole