It’s too hot today! Temps will be over 32° C / 90° F, so I keep it simple. This salad goes great with lasagna or another pasta dish.
Makes 6 servings
Prep: 30 minutes
Marinate: 4 hours
- 120 ml or ½ cup olive oil
- 80 ml or ⅓ cup tarragon vinegar
- 10 gr or 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 gr or 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 gr or ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 225 gr or 1 [8 ounce] can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 280 gr or 5 cups romaine lettuce – rinsed, dried, and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 35 gr or ¼ cup pitted black olives
- 35 gr or ¼ cup pitted green olives
- ½ cucumber, sliced
- 15 gr or 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a medium container with a lid, mix canola oil, tarragon vinegar, sugar, thyme, dry mustard, and garlic.
- Cover, and shake until well blended.
- Place artichoke hearts into the mixture, cover, and marinate in the refrigerator 4 hours, or overnight.
- In a large bowl, toss together lettuce, red bell pepper, carrot, red onion, black olives, green olives, cucumber, and Romano cheese.
- Season with pepper.
- Pour in the artichoke and marinade mixture, and toss to coat.
Note 1: You can use canola oil instead of olive oil.
Note 2: Add cherry tomatoes cut in half
Note 3: Marinate ALL the vegetables [minus the lettuce of course] together and then toss right before dinner.
Amount Per Serving Main recipe
Total Fat 21.1g
Total Carbohydrates 13.2g
Dietary Fiber 3.7g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat only 1 serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20130801-Sun-on-a-Plate-Spicy-Italian-Salad