Makes 6 servings
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 45 minutes
Ready: 2 hours
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 gr or 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ gr or ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pod cardamom seeds
- 3 ml or ½ teaspoon water, or as needed
- 5 ml or 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 60 ml or ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 100 gr or ½ cup sugar
- 1 mango – peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 gr or ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ gr or ½ teaspoon cilantro
- 10 ml or 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, minced
- 355 ml or 1½ cups unsweetened applesauce
- 3 pineapple rings, chopped
- 1 gr or 1 pinch white pepper
- 80 ml or ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 80 ml or ⅓ cup rice wine vinegar
- 6 pork chops
- With a mortar and pestle, mash together the garlic, chili powder, cayenne, and cardamom seeds.
- Mix in enough water to form a paste.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in spice paste, and cook until it begins to bubble, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in vinegar; cook without boiling for 2 minutes.
- Stir in sugar until it dissolves.
- Mix in mango, salt, cilantro, lemon juice, and jalapeno; simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in applesauce and pineapple; simmer 10 minutes more.
- Season with white pepper.
- Place in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To prepare marinade, mix 2/3 cup of the salsa with soy sauce and 1/3 cup vinegar.
- Place pork chops in a large resealable plastic bag, and pour marinade over chops.
- Seal tightly, and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Prepare grill for medium-high heat.
- Drain marinade from bag, and heat in a saucepan until boiling.
- Lightly oil grill grate.
- Place pork chops on the hot grill.
- Cook 10 minutes, or to desired doneness, turning once and basting occasionally with the boiled marinade.
- Warm remaining salsa over medium-low heat.
- Serve pork chops topped with the salsa.
Note: Works also great with chicken!
Amount Per Serving Main recipe.
Total Fat 7.2g
Total Carbohydrates 37.1g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band [WLS] persons can eat only one serving max !
PDF of this recipe: 20130725-Sun-on-a-Plate-Grilled-Pork-Chops-Tropical