Makes 3 servings
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 5 minutes
- 535 ml or 2¼ cups water
- 55 gr or 2 ounces firm tofu, cut into ¾ cm or ¼ inch cubes
- 15 ml or 1 tablespoon light miso paste
- 10 gr or 2 teaspoons barley miso paste
- 15 gr or ½ cup fresh spinach, washed and chopped
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil.
- Ladle out about 1¼ dl or ½ cup of the boiling water, and reserve.
- Add tofu.
- Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add spinach or bok choy; simmer about 1 to 2 minutes, or until the greens are tender. Remove soup from heat.
- Blend white miso and barley miso into reserved hot water.
- Stir into soup.
- Ladle into bowls, and garnish with scallion.
- Serve immediately.
Note 1: Original miso soup is made with dashi, a fish stock made of kombu [kelp] and femented bonito [tuna flakes].
Note 2: If you prefer, you can replace the spinach with bok choy
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 2.1g
Saturated Fat 0.3g
Total Carbohydrates 4.3g
Dietary Fiber 0.9g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band persons can eat only half a portion max !
PDF of this recipe: 20130221-Vegetarian-Miso-Soup