First the elevator broke down, nothing to do with my weight, it can handle 5 of me. Then my key broke in the ignition of the scooter, and the last shopping before getting into hospital have to wait till I’m out of it, the elevator is repaired and a new ignition is installed.
On the other side, and this is literally, it’s just one-and-a-half floor down by stairs. So I can catch my ride early tomorrow morning to the hospital. They are awaiting me at 7, so I suppose I’m #1 in theater.
In the mean time I can work on some projects, watch TV, read a bit and take a nap in between those horrible protein shakes. Let’s start with a cup of Java first before the rest of the day starts.
Apple Bacon Tomato Soup
Makes 8 servings
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
- 5 slices bacon
- 15 ml or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 6gr or 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 475 ml or 2 cups beef stock
- 450 gr or 1 [15.5 ounce] can pinto beans
- 400 gr or 1 [14.5 ounce] can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium apple, thinly sliced
- 120 ml or ½ cup red wine
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet.
- Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown.
- Drain, coarsely chop, and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, and saute white onion and garlic 3 to 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Stir in beef stock, pinto beans, tomatoes, celery, and bay leaf.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir the apple in the red wine until soft.
- Mix bacon, apple, and remaining red wine into the soup mixture.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally until well blended.
Note: Brown the bacon in a sauce pan then sauted the onion, garlic and celery in the bacon juice. After this, follow the rest of the recipe.
Amount Per Serving Main recipe.
Total Fat 10.3g
Saturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrates 16.6g
Dietary Fiber 3.8g
Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Lap-band persons can eat only half a portion max!
PDF of this recipe: 20130110-Apple-Bacon-Tomato-Soup