Makes 6 servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
- 425 gr or 1 [15 ounce] can kidney beans, undrained
- 450 gr or 1 [16 ounce] can baked beans with pork
- 425 gr or 1 [15 ounce] can butter beans, undrained
- 120 ml or ½ cup ketchup
- 10 ml or 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 9 gr or 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 165 gr or ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 450 gr or 1 pound lean ground beef
- 115 gr or 4 ounces bacon, chopped
- 85 gr or ½ cup chopped onion
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 175° C or 350° F
- In a large skillet over medium heat, fry the ground beef, bacon and onion together until ground beef is no longer pink.
- Drain fat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the kidney beans, baked beans with pork and butter beans.
- Stir in the ketchup, white vinegar, dry mustard, brown sugar and cooked beef mixture.
- Mix thoroughly, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the bean and meat mixture into a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes.
Note 1: Fry the bacon seperate from the ground beef and cook it until crisp, but not burnt. Then brown the ground beef. It will take a bit longer then cooking them together.
Note 2: Mix the brown sugar with the ketchup to form a sauce. Then mix all the other sauce ingredients.
Note 3: You do not have to use the vinegar and mustard, some vinegar is already in the ketchup.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 26.1g
Total Carbohydrates 69.2g
Dietary Fiber 10g
PDF of this recipe: 20121206-Calico-Bean-Casserole