Makes 4 servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
- 680 gr or 1½ pounds beets
- 75 gr or 2 cups shredded beet greens
- 1 large orange
- 2 Granny Smith apples – peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 15 ml or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 15 ml or 1 tablespoon raspberry vinegar
- 2 gr or ½ teaspoon white sugar
- 2 gr or ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 20 gr or 2 tablespoons unsalted sunflower seeds, toasted
- Wash and dry beet roots and greens.
- Shred greens to measure 75 gr or 2 cups and set aside.
- Place beets in a sauce pan with enough water to cover.
- Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and allow to cool.
- Trim and peel off skins; cut into 8 wedges.
- Peel and section orange.
- In a bowl, combine orange sections, beets and apples.
- Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and garlic.
- Pour over beet mixture and toss well.
- Arrange beet greens on 4 salad plates.
- Top with beet mixture, sprinkle with sunflower seeds and serve.
Note 1: Instead of fresh oranges, use either canned mandarin oranges or fresh mango.
Note 2: Add some fresh arugula– it’s natural peppery taste really adds to the salad.
Note 3: Use spanish almonds or hazelnuts instead of sunflower seeds.
Note 4: Use both golden and red beets.
Note 5: Add some caramalized onions.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 3.9g
Saturated Fat 0.5g
Total Carbohydrates 32.4g
Dietary Fiber 6.3g
PDF of this recipe: 20121202-Beet,-Orange-Apple-Salad