Makes 4 servings
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes
- 3 ml or ½ teaspoon vegetable oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1½ cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 65 gr or ¼ cup uncooked quinoa
- 180 ml or ¾ cup vegetable broth
- 1 gr or ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 0.2 gr or ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 80 gr or ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- 450 gr or 1 [15 ounce] can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 10 gr or ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
- Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth.
- Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and freshly ground pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes,
- Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through.
- Mix in the black beans and cilantro, and heat through.
Footnote: Quinoa is often referred to as a “wonder food,” it is a versatile and healthy addition to your table. It’s most often treated like a grain [in fact, it’s a seed], but, unlike grains or rice, it’s a complete protein, making it a smart choice for any meal.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 1.7g
Saturated Fat 0.2g
Total Carbohydrates 27.8g
Dietary Fiber 7.8g
PDF of this recipe: 20121129-Quinoa-and-Black-Beans