Makes 12 servings
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
Cool: 20 minutes
- 115 gr or ¼ pound bacon, cut into ½ cm or ¼ inch dice
- 30 ml or 2 tablespoons honey
- 115 gr or ½ cup melted butter
- 145 gr or 1 cup brown sugar
- 50 gr or ¼ cup white sugar
- 8 ml or 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 95 gr or ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 45 gr or ½ cup cocoa powder
- 3 gr or ½ teaspoon salt
- 85 gr or ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 175° C or 350° F
- Grease a 20 cm or 8-inch square baking dish.
- Fry bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until nearly crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Add honey and stir until the foaming subsides.
- Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to a plate to cool.
- Mix melted butter, brown sugar, white sugar, and vanilla extract in a large bowl; mix in eggs.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, and salt together in a bowl; add to the egg mixture.
- Fold bacon and chocolate chips into the mixture; pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 25 to 35 minutes.
- Allow brownies to cool for 20 minutes before cutting into squares.
Note 1: If you freeze the bacon first, it’s easier to dice.
Note 2: A nice touch is to place the candied bacon on top of the brownies. If you choose to do this, cook the bacon a little less initially, because it will continue to cook in the oven on top of the batter.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 12.5g
Saturated Fat 7.1g
Total Carbohydrates 31.4g
Dietary Fiber 1.8g
PDF of this recipe: 20121125-Bacon-Brownies