Cartoon by: Gerrit de Jager for Nu.nl
Makes 9 servings
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
- 1275 gr or 3 [15 ounce] cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 450 gr or 1 [16 ounce] can diced tomatoes
- 55 gr or ¼ cup butter
- 145 gr or 1 ¼ cups chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 gr or ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 gr or ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 950 ml or 4 cups beef broth
- 425 gr or 1 [15 ounce] can pumpkin puree
- 225 gr or ½ pound cubed cooked ham
- 45 ml or 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Pour 2 cans of the black beans into a food processor or blender, along with the can of tomatoes.
- Puree until smooth.
- Set aside.
- Melt butter in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook and stir until the onion is softened.
- Stir in the bean puree, remaining can of beans, beef broth, pumpkin puree, and sherry vinegar.
- Mix until well blended, then simmer for about 25 minutes, or until thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.
- Stir in the ham, and heat through before serving.
Note 1: If you don’t have sherry vinegar just use cider vinegar or a white wine vinegar.
Note 2: Make a vegetarian dish out of it by leaving out the ham, and substituting the beef broth by a vegetable broth.
Note 3: This is a delicious soup that is even better reheated the next day. Easy to make too. Serve with a garnish of sour cream and toasted pumpkin seeds if desired
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 10.2g
Total Carbohydrates 7.4g
Dietary Fiber 2.7g
PDF of this recipe: 20121122-Pumpin-Black-Bean-Soup